You are here

Course Registration

Closed Courses/Course Restrictions

There is a high demand for many language courses, and it is recommended that students plan ahead and register early. The following policies are being implemented for closed and restricted courses:

  • Students must receive permission to audit language courses. Arabic courses may not be audited.
  • The number of students allowed in a course is determined by enrollment limit only, not classroom capacity.
  • If a course is listed jointly with another course, then it may appear that there are seats in a closed course. These unaccounted for seats are probably full in the joint section.
  • If a language course is closed, it is recommended that you keep checking the online time schedule for an opening. You may attend the first class, but please note that there is NO guarantee a space will become available.
  • Some courses first give registration priority to NELC, N&MES, and JSIS majors.   
  • Simply declaring a NELC major will not guarantee a space in our language courses. Space is available on a first come, first served basis. If you declare a NELC major in summer you will not necessarily be able to enroll in an elementary language course for Autumn quarter. You are encouraged to keep in good contact with the NELC advisor to ensure a space in a class.
  • Continuing NELC majors should plan ahead for the following quarter BEFORE their registration time. It is suggested that students register as soon as they are able as our language classes tend to fill up quickly.
  • Arabic language courses are not available to ACCESS, non-matriculated, or auditing students.

Add/Entry Codes

Courses requiring add codes are designated with the symbol > to the left of the schedule line number (SLN) in the Time Schedule. Directions on where to obtain an entry code are in the comment section of the Time Schedule listing, either as a comment after the course section or following the title of the course. Instructors may issue Add/Entry Codes to students when a class is full which will allow registrations or overloads above the limit set by the department.

Once you have used an entry code, the computer removes it from the list of viable codes and will not accept it again. If you drop a section that required an entry code to add, then you must obtain another entry code from the department if you wish to re-add the section.

Time Conflicts

Students may not register online for two courses that meet at the same or overlapping times. If two courses overlap less than one hour, students must obtain verbal approval of both instructors and register in person at the Registration Office (225 Schmitz). If two courses overlap more than one hour, students must fill out the  Registration Transaction form, obtain signatures of the instructors, and register in person at the Registration Office (225 Schmitz).


S/NS grading is an option that students select at registration. The S grade will not be assigned directly by the instructor but is converted from the numeric grade by the Office of the Registrar. Courses graded in this manner can only be used as free electives and cannot be used to satisfy a University, college, or department course requirement. is not computed in GPA calculations. A grade of 2.0 or above receives an for undergraduates and a grade of less than 2.0 is converted to NSNS is not included in GPA calculations. No credit is awarded for courses in which an NS grade is received. Students must choose S/NS grading before the end of the seventh week.

Credit/No Credit

C/NC grading is an option that only professors can choose for a whole course. The minimum performance level required for a CR grade is determined, and the grade is awarded directly, by the instructor. C/NC is not computed in GPA calculations but the credits may satisfy university or major requirements.

Summer Program

The University of Washington Summer Quarter is open to people from all walks of life. You can attend Summer quarter to prepare for graduate school, learn a new language, and acquire new skills to enhance your career, or learn just for the sake of learning. Classes are held during a full nine-week term or one of two four-and-a-half-week terms.

ACCESS Program

The University of Washington waives tuition for Washington residents sixty years or older who wish to attend classes as auditing students. ACCESS students may attend class with the permission of the instructor, beginning the first class day if space is available. Courses marked with a greater than sign (>) require an add/entry code to register. Students should contact the offering department to obtain add/entry codes prior to coming to the Registration Office, 225 Schmitz Hall. A $5.00 registration fee and a prorated technology fee will be billed if registration in a course(s) is completed. Since students are auditing the course(s), they do not receive credit and are not expected to do any class work, participate in discussions, or take examinations. Students may register in 500 level graduate courses with the approval of the instructor by obtaining an add/entry code through the department. A transcript is not maintained.

ACCESS Registration

  • ACCESS Program students are not able to register using MyUW.
  • Registration is done in person at the Registration Office, room 225 Schmitz Hall, beginning the third day of the quarter through the fifth day.
  • Registration ends at 5:00 p.m., on the fifth day of the quarter. If students are unable to come in-person, they may mail in their registration request.
  • Classes are not guaranteed.

Students may take up to two courses per quarter. For additional information about this program or to request a registration form, please contact the Registration Office, 543-8580 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., weekdays.

Non-Matriculated Students

There are two types of non-matriculated enrollment for students: Graduate and Non-Degree. For information about Graduate Non-Matriculated students see our admissions page.

Non-Degree Enrollment allows anyone to take courses and earn credit at the University of Washington without applying to the UW or enrolling in a degree program. Many classes found on the Time Schedule are available for Non-Degree Enrollment, although priority is given to matriculated students with declared majors in NELC for NELC courses. Students taking courses via Non-Degree Enrollment study with UW professors alongside regular degree students, earn real UW credit, and are eligible for some (though not all) student services. Many people sign up for Non-Degree Enrollment to fulfill graduate school prerequisites in everything from medical school to law school to teacher certification. Others earn credits to apply to an undergraduate degree, try out a field of study, or gain new skills for career advancement. Enrollment as a Non-Degree student requires prior written approval from the academic department that offers your class and is on a standby basis, which means you are not guaranteed a space in the class.